Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Foolproof Rice

Since I've posted a recipe requiring rice on the side I may as well post the recipe which I now use, after years of trial and error, to cook rice. Several years ago I was given the great big Gourmet Magazine cookbook and I'm not ashamed to say that this is the recipe to which it falls open.  It's not rocket-science, but when the simple dish doesn't come out right it can spoil the whole meal.


2 ¾ C Water
1 ½ C Long grain White Rice (not converted)
1 ¼ tsp. Salt

Stir together water, rice, and salt in a 2 in a 2 ½ to 3- quart heavy saucepan, bring to a boil, uncovered, without stirring, until steam holes appear in rice and grains on surface look dry, about 8 minutes.  Reduce heat to very low; cover pan with a tight-fitting lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.  Remove pan from heat and let rice stand, covered, for 5 minutes.  Fluff rice with fork before serving.


*for a double recipe, 5 ½ C water; 3 C rice; 2 ½ tsp. salt

No comments:

Post a Comment