Saturday, March 26, 2016

Chiffon Cake



Simple, light, made from ingredients which are normally already in the pantry, what's not to love?  I can't remember where I first found this recipe, but I seem remember making it way back when we lived in Germany and had one kiddo, so it's been a while!  I used to ride my bicycle, with little Nathaniel in the kiddie seat on the back, to the Post library at Möhringen Kaserne, where we lived, and I would check cookbooks out to try new recipes.  Good times....





2 C flour (may use 1 C white + 1 C whole wheat)
1 C sugar
1 ½ Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
¾ C water
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. almond extract
½ C oil
5 large egg yolks
7 large egg whites
½ tsp. cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 325.  Combine all ingredients except whites and cream of tartar.  Mix well.  Beat whites and cream of tartar till stiff.  Gradually fold batter into whites, mixing gently just until combined.

Pour into ungreased pan.  Bake 65 minutes.  Cool, remove from pan, and sprinkle with powdered sugar or serve with whipped cream and fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment