Saturday, August 2, 2014

Rhubarb Bread

Here's a favorite that I've been making longer than I've had most of my children.  As a matter of fact, this may have been the first way I ever used rhubarb.  It doesn't grow in Texas, but when I moved to Pennsylvania as a young wife and mom I discovered that this mystery vegetable (?) grows in almost every backyard there.  Now that I love rhubarb, had some in my own backyard, and almost took it for granted, I have moved back to Texas where it costs almost $8 a pound if you can find it in the produce department.  I'm posting this, therefore, for my loved ones who still lives where it grows in abundance.  Never take rhubarb for granted!

*Make this the day before you intend to enjoy it; sitting for a day allows the flavors to fully meld together and sweeten the rhubarb.


1 ½ C Whole Wheat Flour
1 C Unbleached White Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
2/3 C Canola Oil
1 ½ C packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 C Buttermilk
2 C finely chopped fresh or frozen Rhubarb
½ C chopped Walnuts

Whisk dry ingredients together.  Mix oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla and buttermilk together in a large bowl.  Add dry ingredients, mixing well.  Stir in rhubarb and walnuts.  Pour into 2 greased 5x0 inch loaf pans.  Bake at 350° for 60 minutes.  Cool in pans for several minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely.  Store in refrigerator.  May substitute pecans for walnuts.


No comments:

Post a Comment